Ways to fine-tune your web writing skills
Writing for the web can be very challenging especially if you are not constantly updating your writing skills. Whether you are a novice or a pro in writing blogs, press release, or marketing copy, it always helps to upgrade your skills. Here are some quick tips to improve your writing.
- Write to the point – Strike out the clutter. A message should make a point as soon as it is read. Is your writing honest on this measure?
- Always spell check – This may sound basic, but it is important to use a spell check before publishing your content online. Make use of Ms Word spell and grammar check once you finish the write-up.
- Use active voice – Naturally, the impact of writing in the active voice is far more than passive. However, it is not a rule to use active verbs at all times. You can use passive voice, but use it strategically.
- Read what you write aloud – Trust me, it helps if you read out your content aloud. It is easy to catch mistakes and problems in content flow.
- Intelligent choice of words – This is necessary at all times. Choose words that make your content precise, and descriptive, at the same time enable readers to visualize the scene.
- Get rid of empty modifiers – Words like very, really, etc., add no useful information. Tony is very fat. No, get rid of such empty modifiers to make your write-up more crisp.
- Pay attention to your sentence structure – Readers don’t like to read repetitive stuff. Even if your content varies but the structure is same, the write-up comes across as repetitive.
- Short and simple – Draft short and simple sentences, but don’t be afraid to play with the structure.
- Use bullet points – Bullet point guides the readers to scan through your content quickly. Therefore, use bullet points but brief ones only.
- Address your readers – Readers want to know what’s in it for them, so address them.
- Make interesting headlines – This is the first point of contact with the reader. Therefore, it has to be impactful to keep them reading until the end.
- Authenticate your write-up – Readers like it when you back up your content with facts and figures. Make your content powerful with credible information.
If you are looking for a web content solution with the ideal blend of style and substance, you’ve come to the right place. Give us a try! Get in touch with us your writing requirements and we’ll get back to you with a suitable proposal.